Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Dance

An alarm chimes and the dance begins.  Arms outstretched, I reach for you.

Brush teeth, brush hair, brush aside the tears.  Shoulders squared, back straight, my feet move on their own.

Smile for the audience. Go through the motions. I know the steps even without thinking.

Keep my focus on the next move and, for moments at a time, I almost forget that your hand is no longer in mine.

Return to an empty house, but still the dance goes on.  Don't forget to eat.  Don't forget to breathe.  Don't forget to stay busy.  Hours more to fill.

Finally, I lay down.  I close my eyes and hear your song so loudly in my head.  But there is only silence in the room.

Arms outstretched, once more I reach for you.  The lights go out and the dance ends again.  Until tomorrow's show.

An alarm chimes and the dance begins.  Arms outstretched, I reach for you...



I love you Daniel.


No comments:

Post a Comment